Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Favorite Movie Scores

A post over at a blog I follow (http://youliveinanunforgivingplace.blogspot.com/) got me thinking about my favorite movie scores, so I thought I'd share them with you here:

Classic John Williams (Jaws, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones).  I really could have put any one of those up here as well, since they're all amazing.  But Jurassic Park has always stuck out to me. 

Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell.  Never met a person who didn't like this.  Most used word to describe it? Epic.  I love the way it builds at the beginning.  And if you've ever watched Requiem for a dream, you know how perfectly this music matches the film.  It works especially well in the end scene and just leaves you with this haunting feeling. 

The score to The Rock has been one of my favorites ever since I first saw this movie when it aired on tv.  It's just badass.  Sometimes I don't like Hans Zimmer because some of his movie scores sound too similar (compare this to The Gladiator to Pirates of the Caribbean for example) but I guess that's just his style.  Honorable mention goes to his work on Black Hawk Down.

Surface of the Sun by John Murphy from the movie Sunshine.  One of my favorite movies and one of my favorite scores.   It's just really beautiful music.  I feel that it has this remarkable ability to take you up into it, if that makes any sense.  Like it absorbs you.  Haha, I sound like Serle talking about the sun room.  Sunshine fans know what I'm talking about.

Let me know what you think and recommend some other movie scores to me as well.

18 comments:

  1. a friend of mine once said that every movie soundtrack after jurassic park sounds like jurassic park sans that, you know, iconic theme. he's pretty much right.

    lux aeterna is the modern day albinoni's adagio, though the song should be updated with a much larger orchestra if it hasn't been already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of John William's stuff: the Star Wars music is genius, and the Harry Potter stuff is memorable to say the least.

    Thanks for the suggestions! The sad truth (if you want to look at it that way) is that a lot of the good composers write for movies, because that's where the money is. On the bright side, however, occasionally you'll get a guy who still writes brilliant stuff like John Williams. Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some nice classic scores. I think the most memorable ones to me are from StarWars and Indiana Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah nice blog, i always like movie sound tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know Hans made the rock theme too. cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 jurassic park, doubtful for no. 4 though..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not really a film score, but the theme for Tales from The Crypt is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog - now following

    I love the score to Sunshine...great film

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jurassic Park is really a great film

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool, requiem of a dream is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Rawr, the score of requiem of a dream was brilliant and very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jurassic park is my favorite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jurassic Park!! I hope they make a new movie...

    ReplyDelete
  14. lux is my all-time favorite. but i don't think requiem for a dream was the first to use it

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just reminded me of requeim for a dream and the rock :D i will do reviews of them!

    Great music however!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow interesting post. But good music nonetheless.
    http://zspneverydaysports.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete